It’s a bit of a dreary June day which has left me feeling like going back to bed to hibernate until the sun comes out again and warms me up. There is no way the heating can go on, so a hoody and some comfort food is just what I need to prevent the week long hibernation.
This Mexican Bean Smash is a quick and tasty recipe that will leave you feeling full and satisfied. Simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards are transformed into a nutritious breakfast, lunch or snack.
I can’t think of a better way to use up those cans or cartons of kidney beans that hang around for months on end! Serve on toasted wholegrain bread, crackers, wraps or as a dip with veggie sticks. Happy Meat Free Monday 🙂
You may also like:
Do you ever get stuck for ideas when it comes to healthy eating? You can keep up to date with all of my new clean and delicious recipes by subscribing to my free newsletter. It is quick and easy to subscribe and you will receive all of the new recipes right to your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Clean Eating Mexican Bean Smash
- Yield: 2 Servings
Simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards are transformed into a nutritious breakfast, lunch or snack.
- 1 can or carton Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 100 ml Water
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- 1/8 tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1/2 clove Garlic minced/finely grated
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Coriander to serve
- 1 wedge Lemon or Lime to serve
- Place all of the ingredients (except the coriander and lemon/lime) into a non stick saucepan and turn on the heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, take the beans off the heat and carefully smash with a potato masher.
- Once smashed, return the beans to the heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Serve on toasted wholegrain bread, in a wrap or as a dip topped with fresh coriander and lemon/lime juice.