Chilli dogs have been a Bonfire Night tradition in my family home for many, many years. It’s not something that we would eat all year round, for such a basic meal it feels rather indulgent to eat chilli on sausages in a bun.
Whilst I completely appreciate that this is not the worlds healthiest meal, It is a cleaned up version of something I ate as a child and I am excited to still be able to carry on this tradition in a slightly healthier way for my family using ‘clean’ sausages and my homemade organic beef chilli recipe.
I used to buy the Laverstoke Park Farm clean cumberland sausages from Ocado, but about a year ago now they stopped selling them on there. Sad times! They were amazing and I loved using them to make my Clean Eating Sausage Jambalya. Luckily I have found a new brand of ‘clean’ sausages on Ocado from a great company called Eversfield and whilst they sadly aren’t quite as lovely as the ones from Laverstoke Park Farm, they are good to have around if you are wanting to keep it clean.
You can make your own wholewheat finger rolls using this recipe. Or for a gluten free alternative you can serve this in a baked sweet potato instead.
You may also like:
Clean Eating Chilli Dogs
- Yield: 6
For a gluten free alternative you can serve this in a baked sweet potato instead.
- 6 Clean Sausages
- 6 Wholewheat Finger Rolls or 6 baked sweet pototes
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Soured Cream to serve - optional
- 6 Tablespoons Organic Full Fat Cheese Grated
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander or Parsley optional
- 1 Recipe Clean Eating Organic Beef Chilli See Recipe Above.
- Preheat the oven to 180*C and cook the sausages according to the packet instructions or until cooked through - around 30 minutes, turning half way through.
- Slice the length of the top of the buns so that they are open enough to hold the sausages inside.
- If using leftover chilli, heat it up ready to serve and prepare any toppings.
- Once the sausages are cooked, allow to cool slightly before serving the the buns, topped with chilli, soured cream and cheese.