My bestest girlfriend popped over yesterday with her new baby for some girlie chats and snuggles. We got chatting about the comfort food struggle we all face, especially this time of year. We talked about how it feels a lot easier to eat healthy when its hot outside and you crave lighter, cooler meals and drinks.
We decided that craving hot chocolate and stodgy comfort food must be normal and part of our human nature. Who are we to tell our bodies cravings that they are wrong?! You wouldn’t tell a pregnant woman that! (Or at least if you did, you wouldn’t do it a second time!).
I’m not one for depriving my body of every single craving that I have, but I do know that there are always healthier alternatives out there and that is why I love clean eating so much. I can still enjoy comfort food, but it can be made with real food ingredients that will nourish and satisfy my body in a healthier way.
This Chicken Stew is the perfect meal to enjoy with the family on a chilly November night. It is wholesome and delicious and can be served with wholegrain rice, mashed potatoes (sweet or white) or with a chunk of buttered wholegrain bread… emphasis on the BUTTER! This is definitely my kind of comfort food.
You may also like:
Clean Eating Chicken Stew
- Yield: 4 Servings
This Chicken Stews is the perfect meal to enjoy with the family on a chilly November night. It is wholesome and delicious and can be served with wholegrain rice, mashed potatoes (sweet or white) or with a chunk of buttered wholegrain bread.
- 1 tsp Oil of choice I used Avocado Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 Celery Stalk Sliced
- 2 Carrots peeled and sliced
- 500-600 grams Chicken diced into bitesize pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced/finely grated
- 750 ml Stock homemade or organic reduced salt bouillon
- 1 Frozen Spinach Cube or chopped kale/spinach
- 2 Parsnips diced into bitesize pieces
- 200 grams Butternut Squash diced into bitesize pieces
- Place the oil, onion, celery and carrot into a saucepan and cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the chicken and cook over a medium/low heat for another 3-5 minutes
- Add the garlic and stir, then pour in the stock and add the spinach and bring to the boil.
- Once bubbling, add the parsnip and butternut squash and cover with a lid.
- Simmer over a low heat for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, or once the vegetable are softened, remove two ladles of vegetables and 2 ladles of stock and blitz them up using a hand blender.
- Pour the blitzed vegetables back into the saucepan. (This will thicken the stew and give it extra flavour).
- Continue to simmer the stew with the lid off for another 10 minutes, or until cooked to your preference.
- Season to taste and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or wholegrain bread.