I am always a little suspicious when the word ‘savoury’ is used in a recipe title. It suggests to me that the recipe should really be sweet and leaves me with images of myself eating a slightly ‘savoury’ porridge once which was just wrong. You know how I feel about my porridge. It should never contain vegetables. It should never be savoury.
This recipe however is slightly different and didn’t leave me gagging over the kitchen sink. It worked and it was lush. Maybe I’m late to the savoury french toast party, maybe it isn’t even called savoury french toast but after only ever eating sweet cinnamon french toast loaded with berries and maple syrup, this did feel like a bit of a risk.
My husband and I loved eating this over the weekend. Saturday mornings are fast becoming the day we traditionally eat brunch. And the day we eat smoked salmon. With both Luke and I starting our days early, Saturday is our only chance for a sleep in (with Sunday being church) so we have been loving our lazy 10am breakfasts and I hope we will continue to do so for a very long time. Especially when they taste this good!
Do you ever get stuck for ideas when it comes to healthy eating? You can keep up to date with all of my new clean and delicious recipes by subscribing to my free newsletter. It is quick and easy to subscribe and you will receive all of the new recipes right to your inbox. Click here to sign up!
You may also like:
- Clean Eating Cinnamon French Toast
- Clean Eating Raspberry French Toast
- Clean Eating Smoked Salmon Omelette
Clean Eating Savoury French Toast & Smoked Salmon
- Yield: 1 Servings
Don't be put off by the lack of maple syrup on this french toast recipe. Savoury is the new sweet!
- 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Unsalted Butter organic if possible
- 2 small slices Clean Wholegrain Bread I used Cranks Organic
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Spring Onion finely diced
- 1/8 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 30 grams Smoked Salmon
- 1 wedge Lemon to serve
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley to serve
- Place the oil and butter into a wide non stick frying pan and heat.
- In a shallow bowl or plate, whisk together the egg, spring onion, rosemary and black pepper.
- Dip each side of bread into the egg mixture and place into the hot pan.
- Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown on each side.
- Serve with the smoked salmon and squeeze over some lemon juice, fresh parsley and freshly ground black pepper.