Not what most people expect of a health coach, natural health blogger and all round health geek. But it stands to be true and this is why I started my healthy living blog supernaturallyhealthy.org.
You see if we time travel back 10 or more years I used to be pretty sick and fed up. Terrible tummy pains, skin, fatigue, depression and my bowel habits make me blush at the memory! Nice. I was also 2.5 stone overweight and knew that there must be a better way to getting healthy that did not involve drugs, counting and weighing everything I ate (as numbers has never been my strong point). So I decided to go against the grain, delve back into traditional and natural ways of eating and approach food not only as a joyous ritual but also as medicine. And that is how I have gotten to this point.
As part of my healing journey I have removed gluten and grains from my diet and focus lots on vegetables, fats, proteins and vegetable based carbohydrates as I have learned this is what works for me but I firmly believe that one size does not fit all so my clients adopt various approaches to eating in order to meet their unique bodies needs. My gut was in a bad way so I have had to learn to look after it but thankfully you can still have your cake and look after your body – thank goodness!
So today I want to share with you one of my new recipes that is set to become a favourite. These dark chocolate beetroot brownies are rich and have that dark bitter sweet gooey goodness. Plus they contain the natural goodness of beetroot so this means lots of potassium, iron, folic acid (and much more), along with the cocoa, these brownies are jam packed with antioxidants, magnesium and vitamins as well as lots of fats and proteins to keep you full for longer.
I am a firm believer that getting slim and healthy is not about deprivation, guilt or punishment it is simply about creating healthier alternatives and healthier mindsets. Which is why people like myself and Charlie run blogs like this so everyone can know that being healthy can be fun and incredibly tasty.
Dark Chocolate Beetroot Brownies (Gluten Free)
- Yield: 10 - 14 Slices
These dark chocolate beetroot brownies are rich and have that dark bitter sweet gooey goodness.
- 5 Organic Eggs
- 100 grams Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Coconut Oil or Butter
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 4-5 Tablespoons Raw Honey
- 100 grams Raw Beetroot
- 15 Dates pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon Arrowroot Powder for dusting - optional
- Preheat the oven to 200*C.
- In a food processor blend the beetroot, chopped dates and eggs for 1-2 minutes. Then add the other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tray so it's about an inch in thickness.
- Bake for 20 minutes for gooey brownies or 25 minutes for firmer ones.
- Allow to cool then cut into slices.
- Dust 1/4 tsp of sieved arrowroot powder for that icing sugar look minus the refined sugar!
- Store in fridge or freezer.