If you own a slow cooker, you must try this recipe. If you don’t own a slow cooker, you need to buy one to make this recipe! Perfectly moist, tender Chicken without the fuss of roasting. This is our new favourite Sunday dinner. I just let the chicken do its thing whilst we are at church and then when we come home, I steam a few vegetables and boil some new potatoes and hey presto, a perfect no fuss dinner ready in minutes.
Do you ever get stuck for ideas when it comes to healthy eating? You can keep up to date with all of my new clean and delicious recipes by subscribing to my free newsletter. It is quick and easy to subscribe and you will receive all of the new recipes right to your inbox. Click here to sign up!
One of the best things about slow cooked chicken is that it seems to go a lot further than an oven roasted chicken and the leftovers are perfect to save for making Clean Eating Chicken Noodle Soup the following day.
This recipes doesn’t have to be part of a Sunday roast, you can cook this any time and use it in many different recipes. Having ready cooked chicken on hand is a great time saver if you are on the go.
I used a 1.2kg whole fresh chicken, and cooked it on low for 6 hours. Keep in mind that all slow cookers vary, and so it is important to check that your chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.
Do you own a slow cooker?
Clean Eating Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- Yield: aprox 600g cooked meat (8 Servings)
- Ready In:
Perfectly moist tender chicken, without the fuss!
- 1 1.2kg Whole Chicken fresh, organic if possible
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Carrot halved lengthways
- 1 stalk of Celery halved
- 1/2 Red Onion sliced in 4
- 2 large cloves Garlic halved lengthways
- 1 small handful Fresh Thyme
- Place the carrot, celery and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cut two thin slices of lemon, and put the rest into the cavity of the chicken with the garlic and half of the thyme.
- Place the chicken inside the slow cooker, top with the lemon slices and scatter over the last of the thyme leaves.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on to LOW.
- Check the chicken after 6 hours. (The juices between the breast and thigh should be clear, and there should be no pink meat).
- If the chicken is still pink, check hourly until it is done.
- If the chicken is cooked, take it out of the slow cooker and serve.
- Skill Level: Easy