I was asked by the lovely people at Rennie® to take part in their #HealthyTreats Challenge. I was asked to come up with a recipe that would demonstrate how delicious and beautiful healthy food can be. “If you eat well, you’ll feel good” This statement couldn’t be more true, especially as we head into the Christmas season. It is so easy to fill our bodies with heavy high fat, high sugar and low nutrition foods that leave us feeling tired and bloated.
I have created a super delicious and nutritious low carb, low fat, high protein meal made with lean turkey and quinoa, perfect for energy and muscle building. The courgette spaghetti is so simple to make, just peel with a julienne peeler. This recipe is great for someone who is looking to get lean or just to be enjoyed as a lighter meal. It’s gluten free, dairy free and is packed with essential vitamins and minerals which will boost your health and nourish your body.
Whilst I would never recommend that anyone completely cut out whole grains (unless allergic/intollorent) I can definitely see where a lower carbohydrate meal could have its place in your diet. Complex carbohydrates come in the form of whole grains and most fruit and vegetables and since fruit and vegetables are a lot lower in calories than grains they can make a great substitute when someone is looking to loose weight.
Healthy doesn’t need to be expensive or complicated. Fuel your body with wholesome natural foods this winter. Keep it clean, keep it lean!
You can check out more delicious turkey recipes from our fabulous sponsors, British Turkey.
You may also like:
- Clean Eating Turkey Lettuce Meatballs
- Clean Eating Vegetable Noodles with Garlic Ginger Turkey
- Clean Eating Quinoa Funfetti Salad
Disclosure: This post has been supported by Rennie®. All thoughts and opinions are my own. To find out more about the Rennie® #HealthyTreats Challenge check out http://www.rennie.co.uk/en/home/index.php
Clean Eating Quinoa Turkey Meatballs with Courgette Spaghetti
- Yield: Aprox 30 Meatballs (4 Servings)
I have created a super delicious and nutritious low carb, low fat, high protein meal made with lean turkey and quinoa, perfect for energy and muscle building.
- 500 grams Turkey Mince
- 100 grams Cooked Quinoa
- 20 grams Kale finely sliced
- 2 Tablespoon Onion finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Fine Pink Sea Salt or fine sea salt (plus extra pinches)
- 250 ml Passata
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Garlic Clove finely minced/grated
- 4 Courgettes peeled with a julienne peeler into spaghetti
- Preheat the oven to 180*C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the turkey mince, cooked (cool) quinoa, kale, onion, parsley, oregano and salt.
- Using your hands, give everything a good mix until combined.
- Take out 1 Tablespoon of turkey mixture and roll into a ball before placing onto the baking tray. Continue this process until you have used up all of the mixture.
- Place the meatballs into the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Whilst the meatballs are in the oven add the passata, oregano, basil, garlic and a pinch of sea salt to a saucepan and heat for a couple of minutes until bubbling.
- Once the sauce is hot, take it off of the heat and blitz with a hand blender and set aside.
- When the meatballs are almost done, cook the courgette spaghetti in a non stick pan for 1-2 minutes with a pinch of sea salt until heated through and slightly wilted.
- Serve the courgette spaghetti, top with meatballs and drizzle over the sauce. Serve with a colourful side salad.