Before I got married my favourite food was popcorn. Buttered popcorn! I could quite easily (and often did) microwave myself a packet of popcorn and take it to my room to eat whilst watching The Wedding Planner. Those were the days!
Although popcorn is a great little healthy snack, the microwave variety is not so healthy being high in salt and saturated fat. There are lots of popcorn snacks on the market these days and although they are a good deal better than the microwave packets, they still contain probably more salt than necessary.
It’s really easy to make this Clean Eating Popcorn, you don’t even need a microwave. (I don’t even own a microwave!). You know exactly what goes into it and you can make it whenever you please. My boys love to eat popcorn for Movie Night (Friday nights) and I feel happy knowing that they are having something a little healthier than usual Movie Night treats! No Added Salt, No Added Sugar!
What was your favourite food to munch on whilst watching movies?
Clean Eating Popcorn
- Yield: 4 Servings
It's really easy to make this Clean Eating Popcorn, you don't even need a microwave. You know exactly what goes in it and you can make it whenever you please.
- 3 teaspoons Avocado Oil (or Sunflower Oil)
- 100 grams Popcorn Kernels
- 1-2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- Place the oil in a saucepan and turn on the heat.
- Add the popcorn kernels and give them a stir, coating them in the oil.
- Give the pan a little shake to evenly distribute the corn kernels.
- Pop the lid on and turn the heat down to medium.
- Once you hear the first pop, (after about 2 minutes) give the sauce pan another shake and continue to do so every 20 seconds for about 2 minutes or until the pops seem to slow down.
- Once the popping has slowed down, turn off the heat and give the popcorn another shake.
- Leave it for about 30 seconds before taking the lid off, then pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Give the popcorn a little toss to allow it to cool ever so slightly before sprinkling on the nutritional yeast.
- Serve and enjoy, or allow to cool completely and package up in little bags ready for a quick grab and go snack during the week.