I have been stuck in a bit of a meal time rut recently. You’d think that the girl who writes The Kitchen Shed could never run out of dinner inspiration, but let me tell you…. It happens more than you might think.
Do you ever get stuck for ideas when it comes to healthy eating? You can keep up to date with all of my new clean and delicious recipes by subscribing to my free newsletter. It is quick and easy to subscribe and you will receive all of the new recipes right to your inbox. Click her to sign up!
To bring back my cooking mojo I picked a weeks worth of new recipes to try from some of my favourite cookbooks. I ended up choosing 2 recipes from Jamie Olivers Save With Jamie cookbook and 3 recipes from The Gracious Pantry’s Clean Eating Freezer Meals cookbook. All of the recipes were great and trying new things in the kitchen has definitely helped me to feel more excited about food again.
If you follow The Kitchen Shed on Instagram, you will know that I tried out Jamie Oliver’s Chicken Liver Bolognese last week. It looked so delicious in the cookbook, I really wanted to give it a go and you know what, it wasn’t half bad! We all finished our plates and enjoyed trying something new. Whilst I wasn’t against the chicken livers, I did think that I could use the recipe as inspiration to make a more simple lentil bolognese, so that is exactly what I did.
The use of a food processor in this recipe makes life a lot easier, but you could also very finely chopped the ingredients instead. The magic of this dish is in its presentation at the end, tossed together and topped with some fresh herbs and cheese/nutritional yeast, so be sure to go all out to make this simple meat free meal extra special.
You may also like:
- Clean Eating Turkey Lentil Bolognese
- Clean Eating Vegetable Lasagne
- Clean Eating Super Salad with Goats Cheese & Lentils
Clean Eating Lentil Bolognese
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
The magic of this dish is in its presentation at the end, tossed together and topped with some fresh herbs and cheese/nutritional yeast, so be sure to go all out to make this simple meat free meal extra special.
- 1 teaspoon Oil of choice I used avocado oil
- 1 Onion chunky diced
- 1 Carrot chunky diced
- 1 Celery Stalk chunky diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves peeled
- 100 grams Button Mushrooms or any mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 500 ml Stock Homemade or Organic Reduced Salt Bouillon Stock Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar no added sugar or preservatives
- 2 tins/cartons Cooked Lentils in water
- 1 pinch Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 handful Fresh Parsley to serve
- 1 handful Cheese of choice/Nutritional Yeast to serve
- 300 grams Wholegrain Spaghetti of choice I used brown rice spaghetti
- Place the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and mushrooms into a food processor and pulse until everything is finely chopped together.
- Place the oil into a large saucepan and over a low heat cook the processed mixture for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the dried herbs and tomato puree and stir.
- Add the stock, balsamic vinegar and lentils and bring to the boil.
- Once bubbling, reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- With 10 minutes to go, cook spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Once cooked, stir desired amount of the lentil mixture through the spaghetti. (Freeze or refrigerate any mixture you don't use).
- Serve the spaghetti and lentils and top with fresh parsley and cheese/nutritional yeast.