I love rice! My husband and I both crave rice a lot, although his craving is of the ‘Indian take-away’ variety, whilst mine is usually just for something grainy and nutty.
Wholegrain rice gets a bad reputation for taking too long to cook, being too hard or too chewy and generally just not tasting like white rice. I really believe that if people understood the processes food goes through to become white, (all the ‘brown’ goodness is extracted) then they would think twice before dissing the brown stuff!
Don’t forget that you can pimp up your grains however you like. This Clean Eating Lemon and Herb Rice has flavour and zing. Try it along side some salmon, broccoli and asparagus. You are going to love it!
Clean Eating Lemon & Herb Rice
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Ready In:
This nutritious and zingy rice is the perfect accompaniment to chicken, tofu or fish.
- 300 grams Wholegrain Rice rinsed
- 800 ml Water
- 1 Lemon squeezed/juiced
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 3 teaspoons Bouillon Stock Powder (organic reduced salt, if possible)
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan, minus half the lemon juice.
- Turn up the heat and stir to dissolve the stock powder whilst bringing to the boil.
- Once bubbling, turn down the heat and put the lid on. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- After it's simmered for 15 minutes, remove the lid and stir uncovered for the last 5 minutes, making sure the rice doesn't stick and burn. (If you think you need to add a drop more water you can).
- Once all of the liquid is absorbed, take off the heat and pour over the last half of the lemon juice.
- Serve straight away, or cool quickly and evenly and keep in the fridge for up to two days.