I ate lots of Italian pasta salad growing up. We had quite a few American friends that used to make it and it always tasted the same, no matter which one of them put it together. It was my all time favourite dish at any pot luck, summer BBQ or special occasion.
I didn’t ever have the recipe for it, but as I got older I often wondered how it was made. I came across a recipe for it a few years ago on Pinterest and I was surprised to find out that it was really simple to put together. Just pasta, veggies and Italian salad dressing. That was it! I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult to make a quick Italian dressing to go with this dish and I was right. It was so easy, so simple and so quick.
Clean Eating Italian Spelt Pasta Salad is great as a main meal or as a side dish. I know that I will be using this recipe all summer long to take to family BBQ’s, picnics and pot lucks. Husband and kid approved, this is one you have GOT to try!
Helpful Tip: If you want this to be suitable for Vegans or have a dairy intolerance, just leave out the feta cheese. If you cant get hold of spelt pasta you can replace it with 300g of regular wholewheat or 300g of brown rice pasta.
This recipe has been entered in the #TuscanyNowCookOff Competition here.
You may also like:
- Clean Eating Quinoa Funfetti Salad
- Clean Eating Homemade Coleslaw
- Clean Eating Tuna Brown Rice Pasta
Clean Eating Italian Spelt Pasta Salad
- Yield: 4+ Servings
Clean Eating Italian Spelt Pasta Salad is great as a main meal or as a side dish. I know that I will be using this recipe all summer long to take to family BBQ's, picnics and pot lucks.
- 200 grams Wholewheat Spelt Pasta or 300g wholewheat pasta/brown rice pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder/Granuals
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder/Granuals
- 1/4 teaspoon Fine Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Cucumber chunky diced
- 1/4 large Red Onion chunky diced
- 1 handful Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1 Bell Pepper (or 2 different coloured halves) chunky diced
- 1/2 jar Sliced Black Olives
- 100 grams Feta Cheese optional
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. The spelt pasta took 7 minutes. Once the pasta is cooked, drain it in a colander and leave it to cool down.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegars, lemon juice, basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper until everything is combined.
- Dice up the cucumber, onion, cherry tomatoes and pepper and drain the olives. If using feta cheese you can dice that up too.
- Once the pasta has reached room temperature or cooler, place it into a large bowl.
- Add the italian dressing and stir to coat the pasta.
- Once coated add the diced veggies and cheese and stir again.
- Serve and enjoy or keep cool in the fridge until needed.