Beans, beans, good for the heart… You know its true! I don’t know about you, but growing up chilli con carne was a weekly staple in our house (along with spaghetti bolognese). My Dad teases my mum about it all the time “I go out and earn all this money and we’re still eating chilli or spaghetti bolognese for dinner”. Dad – at least shes cooking for you! 😉 Chilli is great though, so versatile and can be pimped up into a nutritious delicious meal with the addition of extra veggies.
I created this recipe whilst on a 21 day vegan cleanse. In preparation for going vegan, I had made a bunch of freezer meals for the rest of the family so that I wouldn’t have to worry about cooking twice. This day I happened to pull out the chilli, so I decided to make myself chilli too! Two pots of chilli, one pot of rice, happy days!
Clean Eating 3 Bean Chilli is a great source of protein, whilst being low in fat. It is full of flavour and different textures, you wont even be missing the meat, I promise! Serve with wholegrain rice, or on top of a baked sweet potato.
Do you have meals that get added onto the dinner menu weekly?
Clean Eating 3 Bean Chilli
- Yield: 3 Servings
- Ready In:
Clean Eating 3 Bean Chilli is a great source of protein, whilst being low in fat. It is full of flavour and different textures, you wont even be missing the meat.
- 1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 medium Red Onion finely diced
- 1/4 Courgette diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 390 grams chopped tomatoes (from a carton)
- 150 ml Water
- 1/4 Cup Frozen Green Beans thawed
- 1/4 Cup Sweetcorn (organic if possible)
- 1/4 Cup Kidney Beans rinsed
- 1/4 Cup Cannellini Beans rinsed
- * Chilli Seasoning Ingredients List
- 1/4 teaspoon Mild Chilli Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1-2 teaspoon Bouillon Stock Powder (organic reduced salt if possible)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- Measure out all of your ingredients and get them ready to go. Prepare the chilli seasoning mix and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan with the diced onion and courgette and cook on a medium low heat for 5 minutes, keeping watch to ensure it doesn't burn.
- Add the garlic and chilli seasoning mix and give it a quick stir, then pour in the chopped tomatoes and water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans (snapped smaller if they are long) and sweetcorn and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add kidney bean and cannellini beans and ensure the heat is low. Heat through for 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with wholegrain basmati rice, or a baked sweet potato and a green salad.